Sunday, August 22, 2010

Is there a status difference between single mothers and single fathers?

I am wondering if you feel differently about single mothers than you do single fathers. I overheard a conversation between two teachers talking about a student in a "single parent family." The assumption was that it was the mother raising the student and , of course the student must be having problems with a mother like that. When the second teacher found out that the single parent was a Dad - all of a sudden he was a hero and maybe "we as a school could do something to help out". Help out? I never heard such a huge difference in attitude about parenting. How do you feel about it?

Is there a status difference between single mothers and single fathers?
There shouldn't be a difference but I know what you mean--I've heard similar attitudes expressed--where with teh mom--it's like she couldn't keep her family together--or it was her fault--almost pitying her--with the father--he is doing this great job..I guess the dad is viewed as wonderful because it is assumed that they are doing something they don't naturally know how to do (unfair assumption, I know)...The woman is "Supposed" to be doing the parenting anyway--so she is just criticized for not having a 2 parent family...Unfortunately, I have heard this attitude--it's not fair--but with more non-traditional families appearing on the scene, these attitudes will hopefully change...
Reply:Read between your own lines. They felt they needed to "help out".........so apparently they feel he's incompetent, too.


Plus, maybe one of them (or both) was thinking that if they came in to be the compassionate one, then maybe they could get laid. I'm not sure their attitude was really better. Just different. It sounds to me that they still viewed his parenting as inferior.

dental hygiene

No comments:

Post a Comment